Friday, January 14, 2011

Once Upon A Time...

I love making story dice!
It's such a simple project, and my kids LOVE being creative with them. Here is the game: someone rolls the die and has to make a story out of the pictures they see. I got the idea here (she paints hers beautifully, but I just use stickers.... because of both time and lack of artistic ability) and we've been using them ever since. I had some alone time with Zoey today, so we made a new set. I just purchase the natural wooden blocks from the craft store and find stickers that are on clearance. You should hear the stories my kids come up with! Hilarious!
They are perfect for road trips, doctor visits, gifts and nights where it's hard to get the kids in bed! I've done them all different ways... painted the blocks first, had themes (Lightning McQueen, Princesses, Food, etc), let the kids pick the stickers, holiday dice, etc.
My next idea: Give Isaac some colored sharpies and let him create his own story dice. Who knows what he will come up with, but I'm sure it will offer a lot of laughs, as usual.
 

4 comments:

Tina said...

I love it!
I feel like I should apply for a creative mothering internship at the bunkhouse. You have so many great ideas. I've been wanting to create a rest time bin for Carter. Things he can entertain himself with quietly since the Tag books, tinkertoys & legos are way overused. Something that he would look forward to only at nap time. Any ideas? FB me.

Jaimie said...

i LOVE this!!! what a great idea - it's so simple and functional!!!

Amanda said...

What a fab idea, thanks for sharing

Jan said...

Great idea! My 3rd graders would love this for a writing workstation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...