Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cinnamon-Vanilla Biscotti

I am an awful baker!
This is not modesty... this is fact. You can ask anyone... especially the youth. Once I attempted a simple birthday cake for a youth outing and it totally flopped. I was out of butter so I used the butter spray instead. That was 10 years ago and  I still haven't lived it down. 

So you can imagine how insane it was for me to want to bake biscottis. I just had this desire, and it wouldn't go away. I decided to overcome my past fears and attempt it.. and they didn't turn out 1/2 bad!
{I just made some changes to Rocco DiSpirito's Anise Biscotti recipe}
I'm excited to give some of them as a thank you gift to some people who have made my life easier lately. I decided to pair it with some of my favorite teas and some fresh ground cinnamon coffee. I got the idea Martha Stewart here.
 
   Cinnmaon-Vanilla Biscotti
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract until well blended. Combine the flour and baking powder, stir into the egg mixture to form a heavy dough. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Form each piece into a roll as long as your cookie sheet. Place roll onto the prepared cookie sheet, and press down to 1/2-inch thickness. 

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. When the cookies are cool enough to handle, slice each 1 crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices cut side up back onto the baking sheet. (I egg washed the tops and sprinkled with sugar) Bake for an additional 6 to 10 minutes on each side. Cookie slices should be lightly toasted. Serve with your favorite coffee or hot tea!
REMEMBER: Biscotti cookies are going to be harder than a normal cookie. They are for dunking in your favorite beverage and they get soft as they soak it up.

4 comments:

Heather L. said...

Absolutely love how you put them into little boxes with the tea bags - cute!

I just learned last year how to make biscotti, and that's my new Christmas gift I make for my whole extended family. I made peppermint (with candy canes crushed inside and dark chocolate drizzled on top), cranberry orange (with white chocolate drizzled on top), and Heath (with milk chocolate drizzled on top). So yummy! Also, a trick I use is to leave your long rolls on the pan for a few minutes after baking and then cut them with a pizza cutter while they're warm.

Mmmmm... I'm hungry now. :)

lori bunk said...

wow heather, you are WAY outta my league!!! those sound amazing! maybe i will get more adventurous with them now that i know they aren't that difficult.

Heather L. said...

Just add a cup of crushed candy (or dried cranberries) and you're set! Easy peasy!

Emily Carter said...

Ooh! Cinnamon & vanilla together? Yum. Thanks for linking up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...