Monday, May 10, 2010

ru·ta·ba·ga

My son is obsessed with rutabagas.
I don't really know why... I think it started when he watched the cartoon Olivia and she talked all about them. We decided to take a field trip to the fruit market today to find a rutabaga and learn all about the fruits and veggies. He decided he really likes zucchini as well.

So we are going to make something with a rutabaga.
I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea what to do with one. Isaac said I should clean it and put it in a pot of water, but I have a feeling he won't be finishing his plate with it done that way!

So I am pleading for help. Anyone have any good recipes or ideas for rutabagas? I found a couple of good ideas on cooks.com and allrecipes.com, but I'm not convinced any of those will work. (To be completely honest, I'm more concerned my husband will refuse to eat them than my kids.) Any help I can get from all you wonderful cooks would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a couple of recipes from Paula Deen. I've never made any of them, but I love her. Good luck Lor!

Mashed Rutabagas
Ingredients:
About 1/2 pound streak-o’-lean, cut into chunks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 rutabaga
Pinch sugar
2 tablespoons butter
Directions

Place in a pot with enough water to cook the meat; add pinch of salt to water. Allow to come to a boil, about 15 minutes.

*Cook’s Note: the water will cook out, so it might be necessary to add more during cooking.

Peel rutabagas and cut into 1/2-inch slices, then cut into cubes. Add rutabaga to the meat. Add sugar, salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. When done remove some water from the pot. Mash, add butter and season, to taste.

Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time:
Cook Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Easy


Tugboat Turnips
Ingredients:
2 large rutabagas, or turnips
6 large carrots
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Directions

Peel and chop the rutabagas and carrots. Place in a medium size saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Gently cook until tender. Drain the rutabagas and carrots, add the butter and brown sugar. Mash with a potato masher. Adjust the taste with salt and sugar.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy

lori bunk said...

thank you so much. i might try both!

nikki galas said...

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/275776

let me know what u end up trying!

denise said...

You have been awarded the Sunshine Award at my blog! http://deniseslater.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunshine-award.html

Congratulations :)

victoria said...

Lori, my mom boils rutabaga and then mashes it with some butter (like mashed potatoes). It's SUPER yummy and very easy. Good luck! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...