Wednesday, February 2, 2011

snow much fun!

 Today was a snow day, and although I LOVE spending quality time with my kids, this was day #4 stuck inside our house. I had to get them busy, busy, busy before I became crazy, crazy, crazy.

I started with some snow paint with Isaac while the other kids napped. HE LOVED IT. He was outside for over an hour creating all kinds of masterpieces.
 I just mixed food coloring with water. At first I added corn starch to make it last longer, but after he made me fill them up 10xs, I dropped the corn starch act. We even mixed colors to make more colors, which totally upped the cool factor for Isaac.
 

Next we moved indoors for some ice painting.
I just added some water to paint in a silicon ice tray, froze it for an hour or two and then brought it out with some construction paper. You could probably just use more food coloring as well.
 

Finally we ended the afternoon with a super-secret-book-reading-fort under our dining room table. The kids were bummed when I had to take it down for dinner.

So all in all, our beautiful snow day was a success. I wish we could have ventured out and gone sledding or ice skating, but it's so hard to do those things with a 4 month old. I didn't think Elijah was quite ready for the family toboggan! Happy snow day everyone!

4 comments:

angela said...

You are so creative!

Keri said...

Last year when I did the snow painting - that was my biggest grief too. They go thru it so fast and constantly need it refilled but it is a lot of fun!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love the ice painting and I love that you made them in cute shapes! Your kids must have loved it. We've done it before in the heat of summer with a big piece of paper stuck on the fence outside. A great way to cool off when it's so hot. Popsicle sticks in the paint work great too - a bit less messy. You can see ours here: http://6dukes.blogspot.com/2008/08/very-messy-watercolors.html.

Visiting from Be Different Act Normal.

Michelle Maskaly said...

What a cute idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...