Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Waterfall

Just thinking about a random story tonight.
Chris and I took an amazing vacation with some friends to Alaska the year before Isaac was born. It was probably the most beautiful place I have ever been and I can't wait to go again. One of the days we were in Skagway, Alaska, we went hiking to find a local waterfall. This trail we took went on for MILES.... but the view was SO beautiful.
 
 
Finally after hours of hiking (and let me just say that "hiking" with Chris Bunk is the leave-me-behind-because-I-am-going-to-die kind of hiking) we finally made it to our waterfall. It was breathtaking... honestly, the pictures don't do it justice!
 
 
 
I am CRAZY for waterfalls, I have been since I was very young (I think I inherited that from my mother). I had pictures of them all over my walls growing up and they always took my breath away when I saw them in person. Once we got there I couldn't WAIT to climb down! You can imagine my surprise when Chris told me that there was no way we were going to climb down the waterfall! I couldn't believe my ears! This was coming from the man who climbed up the face of a waterfall in Haiti when we were teenagers! Since I knew he didn't make this decision out of his own fear, I knew it was because he didn't think I could do it. From the pictures it seems like an easy climb down, but in reality, it was very slippery and very steep... and this wasn't a tourist attraction with lifeguards on hand... we were pretty far out in the middle of nowhere. I was so bummed. In fact, so bummed, that I sat down and just stared at the waterfall while everyone else was exploring some pipes behind us.
I wasn't really pouting... ok maybe a little bit... but I really wanted to show Chris I could do it. I think when he saw how determined I was, he decided that we could go.... as long as I listened to everything he told me to do. I can still remember that "don't be prideful" look he gave me as I started to jump up and down, so excited to start. So on we went... and I loved every second! I think Chris was proud of me, and I had a new found appreciation of his love and concern for me.
 
 
So WHY in the world am I up at 1:00 in the morning reminiscing about this story? I honestly have NO IDEA. All I know is that Chris brings balance to my life. He challenges me when I want to retreat, and holds me back when I haven't completely thought things through. Do you have someone like that in your life? If so, you know what I'm talking about, and if not, then I pray that you will in due time. I actually have a few people like that around me and I am thankful that God has placed them in my life.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

1 comment:

April Maus said...

I loved this post Lori! Nate and I were just talking about the very same thing around the time you were writing this post...I'm so grateful he is the one who balances me out too! You and Chris are blessed :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...