Tuesday, December 28, 2010

this year, i just DIDN'T...

this year, we DIDN'T put up Christmas lights outside our house.
(although Isaac is still asking when that's going to happen)

this year, we DIDN'T send out Christmas cards to friends and family.
(we did get a lot of super cute ones from others and they are all up in our house)

this year, i DIDN'T make any homemade cookies
for the kids to frost and decorate.
(i figured they got their fill by decorating plenty of gingerbread houses)

this year, i DIDN'T take many pictures, in fact,
i forgot my camera some of the time.
(good thing i have wonderful sisters who i can steal from)

this year, i DIDN'T plan any fun Christmas crafts for the kids to do to lead up
to Christmas or make a cute homemade advent calendar.
(i did purchase one with books to hang on the tree each day...
the story was a little off though, so i had to tell it from memory)

this year, we DIDN'T take the kids to the lights at the zoo,
the village or any other place set up for families to walk around.
(we did go around the neighborhood in our truck on Christmas Eve night)

this year, i DIDN'T make cute homemade gifts for my kids' teachers.
(although, they probably enjoyed my purchased gifts much more)

this year, i DIDN'T get my kids professionally photographed
in their Christmas outfits.
(i did take our annual picture in front of the tree in their Christmas PJs)

Do I regret everything I DIDN'T do?
A little bit.
But with everything being a little hectic this year from adding one little boy to our growing family, it was the only way I would be a "fun" mom and not a "stressed" mom.. and it seems my kids are young enough that they didn't even know what they were missing. They still had a great time! I have to be honest though, I do have dozens of things saved on my bookmarks to do for next year, and I can't wait!!!
What DID or DIDN'T you do this Christmas that made you enjoy it?

2 comments:

Tina said...

can i have a copy of that post so i can schedule it for next year on dec 28th, 2011?
after adding a 3rd to our bunch in june, i'm almost sure i'll need it. and you put it so well.
though i'm looking forward to seeing what is in your bookmarks. the one advent thing we did & loved this year was borrowing 25 christmas/winter books from the library & wrapping them. kids opened them nightly, counting down til the nativity story on 24th. even used the christmas paper bags from the grocery story to wrap them: free!

Shawna said...

Oh my goodness...did you steal this post from my brain??? lol!!! This was how it was for me as well. However...you have a new little baby which makes PERFECT sense why you didn't do what you normally do...me on the otherhand..i have NO idea why. I do have christmas cards to mail out (some have been mailed..but ran out of stamps and one of our vehicles stopped working so I couldn't go get more stamps since my husband was out of town right before christmas and with the hecticness of christmas I didn't get more stamps YET!)so I still have your card all addressed and ready to be mailed out..just needs a stamp!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...