Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ode to Thanksgiving

Today was our Ode to Thanksgiving day and we loved every second of it! We did a bunch of projects and talked about what Thanksgiving really means. Now I'm ready for Thursday!!!

While Zoey was napping, Isaac and I made Paula Dean's Chocolate Cupcakes. He said they were "awesome!"
 Isaac and I decided it would be fun to let the grandparents know how much we are thankful for them, so we made "encouragement jars." In each are little questions about each person that Isaac answered on his own, things like "What makes Grandy smile?" and "What does Papa want to be when he grows up?" We folded them up and put them in jars so that they could pull one out when they needed a pick me up. (These would be a very cute holiday teacher gift paired with a gift card from Starbucks!)
 Next we made "salt dough" handprints... plus a few extra things. It's an easy recipe that you can place in the oven and harden. I am so excited to hang their handprints for the holidays. It would make a great inexpensive gift as well!

Salt Dough Recipe (close to homemade play-dough):
4 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
food coloring or paint as desired
Water to moisten
a little bit of oil
Mix flour and salt and gradually add water until dough consistency. (Add food coloring if desired). Make desired shapes and place in a 150 degree oven for 1 hour (I kept them in there longer). Then place in a dry area for a day to harden. Paint if desired.
 Lastly we made coloring pages to talk about what we are thankful for. Isaac made a portrait of his father playing hockey and Zoey made a portrait of her daddy and Elijah. I think I was left out because I was the facilitator... yeah, we'll just go with that.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday
with family and friends!
"O give thanks to the Lord, call on His name; make known His doings among the peoples!" (1 Chronicles 16:8)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...