Thursday, September 30, 2010

No Reservations Needed.

I love my anniversary.
Every year, for the past 8 years, Chris and I have made it a priority to celebrate another year of marriage by doing something special together. We've gone on trips, we've snuck away to a near-by hotel by the water, we've had romantic meals, etc. This year, we knew that it would be different. With Elijah only being a week old, we just planned on staying home and celebrating the big 10 next year. We had both parents selflessly volunteer to take the kids so we could go to dinner, but we knew that we would be watching the clock so that I could be back in time to feed the baby... not really conducive for a romantic evening out.

I decided to make a romantic dinner in. I bought our favorite steaks, paired it with some of our favorite sides and even had Chris' favorite dessert on hand. In my head it seemed like the perfect evening with my husband... unfortunately, the others in our house were not informed of the goal of the night. As soon as we sat down, Elijah needed to eat and Zoey felt she needed some special attention (Isaac was at church with his grandparents). As I fed Elijah at the table, trying to cut my steak with one hand, and Zoey was climbing Chris' neck, we both looked at each other and smiled... this is definitely what a celebration of 9 years looks like... and honestly, I don't think either of us would have had it any other way. Maybe we will sneak away to a more private dinner in a couple of weeks... one where we don't have to do the dishes afterward.Special thanks to Matt and Nina who surprised us with some of my favorite Gloria Jeans coffee to drink with our cheesecake (it arrived at the perfect time!) Here is what the note inside said....
"Welcome to your new wonderful world, Elijah! We sent mommy some decaf coffee so that you will still sleep for her some nights, but she also get some regular coffee for those nights that you keep her awake just because you want to be with her. We love you!"

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Sounds like how our anniversary dinners turn out. But like you guys, we just smiled and didn't want it any other way. :) Happy belated anniversary by the way! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...