Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I am officially an experienced mom... my DR told me so.

Well, our little man Elijah is having a rough week. With a diagnosis of RSV, Pneumonia and Bronchiolitis all at the same time, this little guy is making his mother emotionally unstable. The doctor was leery about not sending him over to the hospital, but was confident that as "experienced" parents, we would know what to do if his breathing became more strained. Seriously? Experienced parents? Doesn't she know that I still constantly refer to myself as a rookie mom?

We had a rough hour at midnight last night. I was convinced Elijah couldn't breathe and was getting worked up. I even packed the bag for the hospital. Chris felt like we just needed to stay calm and see if we could calm him down as well. Chris was right. I was explaining to Chris last night that I have this "mom button" that gets pushed when one of my children are in distress. I try to stay calm. I try to act rational. I even try to act in faith and cast all my cares on the Lord, but it's like instinct takes over and I would do ANYTHING to make them better (sometimes in a panic state).

I don't know what it means to be an experienced mother.
One definition of experienced is "wise or skillful in a particular field."
I'm definitely not that one.
Another definition is "endured; undergone; suffered through."
That one is a lot closer.
Elijah is doing much better this morning, and actually slept most of the night. His meds seem to be working well and right now he is taking his walker all around the house with a smile on his face. 
This parent thing is hard!
And exhausting!
And totally worth it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...