Sunday, October 2, 2011

What does jealous mean?

Isaac: Mom, what does "jealous" mean?
Me: It means that you are upset because you want
something someone else has.
Isaac: That doesn't make sense...
then why did that song just say that God is jealous?
(We were listening to the song "Spiritual Revolution" by Jake Hamilton where is says, "You are the standard. You are jealous, and I believe You have called me to be holy, I can't retreat")

The conversation that took place after that question was so intense, and I loved every minute of it. It was one of the 1st steps in my children understanding the unconditional, ravishing love of their Creator! If you have never done an in-depth study on the "Jealousy of God" I encourage you to do so...
you will never be the same again!

Exodus 34:14
"Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a
jealous God."

Deuteronomy 4:23,24
Take care, lest you forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make a carved image, the form of anything that the LORD your God has forbidden you. For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Here it is in a nutshell:
God's very name is Jealous. The jealousy of the flesh says "you have something I want and I hate you for it." The jealousy of El Qanna is a zeal that arises when sin threatens a covenant relationship. El Qanna arose in God to the extent of the sacrifice of His only Son.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...