Friday, October 15, 2010

This is NOT what I was created for!

"This is NOT what I was created for!"
As soon as the words came out of my mouth I wanted to take them back. The problem was... I kind-of meant it. Zoey had been screaming incessantly for me to bring her a snack and then once I handed her the bowl of goldfish crackers, she dumped them on the ground and started to stomp on them. As I headed to the closet to get the broom... again.... I couldn't stop the words from coming out-
"This is NOT what I was created for!"

Now that I am sitting at the computer with my cup of coffee, I'm realizing that the statement, although full of emotion and somewhat validated, is very incorrect. This IS what I was created for. Not the cleaning up of goldfish crumbs, but the loving, caring and training of my children. I guess years ago in my dreams of being a mother and fulfilling that call of God on my life, I didn't realize it would be full of goop, sticky fingers and public temper-tantrums.

Deuteronomy 6:4-8
"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your hearta nd with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." 

3 comments:

Nina Bunk said...

oh lori i soo feel that this morning. as patti and i went to get coffee and christopher is throwing his fruit on the ground and then crawling on the ground picking it up, then spilling his milk.
thank you!

Tina said...

and don't underestimate the power of sleep deprivation & hormones after adding a new child to nurture & train!
good thoughts. i think that same thing too many time. too, too many times. it just plain doesn't look like what i imagined sometimes. i getcha!

Keri said...

I wanted to post something like this today - it has totally been on my heart all day! I just haven't had time due to the loco kiddos! It's exactly how I've been feeling. That God did place us here in this moment for such a time as this. What an amazing opportunity we have as mothers to be home with our kids and pour into them. Motherhood = Servanthood. The role is probably one of the least appreciated roles but has the most powerful impact. Even though it's wearing and horrible at times its worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...