Monday, March 29, 2010

my green pastures

There are days when I have to schedule in my time with God so that the day doesn't slip away, and then there are days when I can't think about anything other than spending time with Jesus. Today I experienced the latter. As soon as I woke up I wanted to grab my Bible and sit down, but unfortunately because of the events of the day I wasn't able to until the kids laid down for their nap.

I was desperate to read Psalm 23. I'm not sure why it was so important to have my Bible, since I know the chapter by heart, but I had something I needed to see for myself. There were 2 verses that seemed brand new today....

Psalm 23:2,3
"He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul."

For some reason I've always read this verse thinking of physical provision... God, being my shepherd, wants me to not go hungry or thirsty. Today I saw something different. When I flipped through my Strong's Concordance I realized that what I felt God was showing me was right on. God doesn't want to just provide for my needs, he leads me to places of refreshment so that my soul is restored. I needed that today.... the kids had too many time-out sessions coupled with quite a few meltdowns. I need restoration... not a spa day (although that would be nice), not a day of shopping (wouldn't argue with that either), and not even a day just to myself... I need a supernatural leading to bring me to a place where I can hear God's voice above the others. I'm ready to follow my Great Shepherd.

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

this is sooo good...there is NOTHING that can fill that place...nothing like peace in the midst of trials or the tender mending of a wounded heart!!! I just finished the book 'Captivating' which was AMAZING and these verses have been on my heart since - ecpecially the two you referenced!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...